Monday, August 25, 2014

Salted Caramel Mocha Donuts


It's that time of year again. The lead up to Fall is one of my favorite times of the year, followed by my definite favorite time of the year (Fall & Christmas). The best part of the end of August and September? Anxiously waiting for Salted Caramel Mochas to return to Starbucks. I know a lot of people don't like them -- they are more milkshake and dessert than coffee. But they are my absolute favorite. I love the nutty taste of salted caramel mixed with the rich mocha flavor. It's like a big toffee. 

I recently found a Salted Caramel Mocha Donut recipe and decided to make them this past Sunday. I made a few changes, so I'll include my recipe as well. 


Salted Caramel Mocha Donuts


Ingredients

Donuts 
♥ 1 1/4 cup flour
♥ 3/4 cup brown sugar
♥ 1/3 cup cocoa
♥ 1 tbsp. baking powder
♥ 1/2 tsp salt
♥ 1/4 cup brewed coffee
♥ 1/3 cup sour milk (1 tbsp vinegar with milk added to 1/3 cup)
♥ 1 tsp vanilla
♥ 1 egg
♥ 3 tbsp. melted butter

Glaze
♥ 1/2 cup chocolate chips
♥ 2 tbsp melted butter
♥ 1 tbsp warm water

Salted Caramel
♥ about 1/4 cup of salted caramel sauce (I used store bought)

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray your donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. 

In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add coffee, sour milk, vanilla, and egg. Stir until combined. Add melted butter and stir until just mixed. 

Fill donut pan about 2/3 full with batter. 

Bake for 11 minutes. 

While the donuts are baking, combine chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute and stir. Microwave for 15 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Add 1 tbsp of warm water and whisk until chocolate is completely melted. 

When donuts are finished baking, take out of pan and place onto a cooling rack with a sheet of parchment paper underneath. Immediately dunk one side of the donuts into the chocolate glaze and return to the cooling rack. 

Heat salted caramel sauce for about 30 seconds in the microwave. Using a spoon, drizzle over the donuts. Allow to harden slightly. Enjoy! 



I love cake donuts and I love salted caramel, so these donuts are perfect for me. The donut itself is richly chocolate-y with a hint of coffee; add delicious bittersweet chocolate glaze and salted caramel sauce and the entire dessert is transformed into a perfect late Summer or Fall treat. They go great with a cup of coffee or a glass of cool milk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!