Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Book-stravaganza!: June Reading [So Far]


Books! I love books. I love collecting them, I love highlighting them, and mostly, I love reading them.

A few weeks ago, I posted my June Reading list. I've kind of stuck to it, but not really! The problem with books is that there are always new ones, ones I find that I want to read, special deals, recommendations, etc. I'm easy to distract, basically!

Here's what I've read so far this month!

Inferno, by Dan Brown. I loved the Da Vinci Code (don't judge me) and I really enjoyed this one too, although the ending felt a bit weird to me. I always think it's weird when books that are very rooted in history & reality end with something that is just... very questionable! I did enjoy it though -- I love history & I love puzzles and Dan Brown is great at writing both.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple. I actually read this in a day for my workplace's book club! It was a really good read, but when I got to the end, I felt a little gobsmacked. I have a lot to say about it, but I want to save it for book club -- I'll write a full review soon!

Possession, by A.S. Byatt. I found this for $1.99 at a thrift store & it was on my to read list so of course, I had to get it! However, by the first 1/4 of the book, I knew I just wasn't into it. I persevered on, pausing to read other books. I just don't find it that interesting! The concept is more interesting than the writing to me, probably because I always want to like Victorian literature (the themes! the influence of nature!), but never really do (the boring scenes! the social minutiae!) I'm still only about 3/4 done with this book, but I'm toiling away with it and maybe by the end, I'll appreciate the journey. 

The Opposite of Loneliness, by Marina Keegan. If you haven't read about Marina Keegan, I suggest that you do. I remember hearing about her death two years ago -- I was a year out of college at that point and when I read her essay, "the Opposite of Loneliness," I knew exactly what she was talking about: the anxiety of graduating, the expectation, the hope, the sadness, the wanting more and less at the same time. I really felt her. I was so glad to find this book at Barnes & Noble -- I read it in one night & keep going back to reread parts. Three years after I graduated, a lot of her writing still rings true. There are several essays that talk about jealousy -- it's something I've felt so accurately as a writer, the jealousy of other writers, the wanting to absorb their talent and take it on, to steal or borrow their voices. I felt that reading Marina's writing, but then I realized: this is all we have from her and it is so good. I cannot imagine what she would have gone on to create and that thought makes me so incredibly sad. There was so much more for her to do! It's an amazing book though and I'm so, so glad I picked it up. 

Next up:

All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr. I've read a lot of Doerr's work (he lives in Boise, I gotta support my home-away-from-home state) and I am so excited to start this novel. I love Doerr's writing style: so heavy and deep, dense and crisp. It's like a big piece of pie. Plus, the title of this book is amazing

Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've had this on my list to read for ages and I finally bought a copy. 

What's have you been reading lately? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!