Wednesday, May 14, 2014

DevaCurl Styling Cream


I'm kind of weird about my hair. 

As you guys know, I had a pixie cut for a long time, grew my hair out, cut it very short before my wedding, and now I'm growing it out again. Er, well, maybe you don't know that unless you read my old blog, Locked Out. Which, it's entirely possible you didn't! (Long story short, I've ben blogging since 2008 and it's been a whirlwind!) 


This is me the summer of 2011 (three years ago!?) with my short hair. My hair texture is naturally quite flat and straight. I have three cowlicks (I know). I have a lot of very fine hair. I used to think my hair was quite lank, but my most recent hairdresser told me I had really good hair texture because it's quite soft. It might not curl very well, but damn, it feels nice. 

As I grow out my hair, my favorite way to style my hair is to blow dry it to have lots of volume and then to scrunch in gel or pomade to create a bit of texture. 


(These pictures do not do my hair justice, but I don't take outfit photos anymore!) 

Typically, my hair starts the day quite curly and then naturally deflates a bit to be textured by about noon. I do not mind that it deflates, although sometimes I wish I could keep my Dolly Parton-esque volume all day! 

I was really excited to receive this sample of DevaCurl styling cream for this reason. It's formulated for curly hair, but it can add texture to all hair styles. It's quite a large sample (I'd say as much as a small bottle!) and because my hair isn't naturally curly, I don't really need to use that much of it. It feels like a conditioner, but has quite a bit of hold. 

I used it on my hair when it was a bit damp. Typically, I wash my hair with volumizing shampoo and then spray in John Frieda's Root Booster Lotion at my roots, especially around my cowlicks. I blow dry my hair on hot, but not full blast, and use a bristle brush to brush my hair the opposite direction of how it will lay; this helps me to tame my multiple cowlicks. When my hair is completely dry, I use a large round bristle brush and my blow dryer to add more volume around my part on and on the cowlick on the back of my head. 

To test out this styling cream, I blow dried my hair until about half dry and then used some of the styling cream to scrunch my hair in the front and back, adding a bit of wave. I finish blow drying by turning my head upside down. (Very exhilarating in the morning!) Then, I added a bit more cream and scrunched again, followed by hair spray. 

I really liked the effect! The cream gave my hair soft waves and lots of volume without feeling crunchy or hard. No helmet hair! I found it held relatively well throughout the day, falling out around noon (which is fairly typical for my stubbornly straight hair!) I really liked the feel of it though. I hate crunchy hair and this made my hair feel really soft and nice. I found that if I added a bit more when my waves fell out it rejuvenated them a bit. 

I would really recommend this to people with curly hair! I feel like it would be a great way to add moisture to curls, while also defining them. For those with straight hair, it's a great product to add if you like a bit of texture... but it's not going to give you a head of gorgeous curls! (Whenever that product gets invented, I want to test it out ASAP!) 

Have you ever tried DevaCurl Styling Cream? What did you think? 


2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! :) Great layout and lovely writing! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely!! I really appreciate it. :) I'll be checking out your blog as well.

      <3 Michelle

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!