Thursday, April 17, 2014

Urban Decay's 24/7 Liquid Eyeliner


For a few months now, I've been experimenting with my favorite eyeliner methods. In high school, I was devoted to my black pencil liners -- I liked it heavy and I liked it completely around my eye. Ahem, not a great look! 

About a year ago, I purchased my first gel eyeliner -- Rimmel London's Scandaleyes gel liner. I actually really like it and carry it in my purse for quick touch ups. For my wedding, I purchased Lorac's PRO gel eyeliner, which I really liked. However, I found it had the same problem as Rimmel London's gel liner -- the line was never quite as stark as I wanted it to be, the flicks of my cat eye liner never quite as sharp as I wanted. 

A few months ago, I watched a video of the rapper Kreayshawn doing her signature eyeliner. (Do not judge me!) She swears by Wet-n-Wild's Mega Liner. It's $1.99 at Wal-mart, so I bought a tube and started using it. It takes a long time for me to use liquid eyeliner, but when I get it right, I love the results. However, I found myself struggling quite often with this liner -- it smudges really badly and is very hard to control when applying. Mostly, I found myself wishing the brush was shorter -- it's quite long, so it can snap when you are trying to perfect your flick. 

As my tube of Wet-n-Wild liner started to empty, I asked myself if I wanted to try a new brand. Did I want to splurge and potentially get a better product, or stick to the cheap option that work, eh, ok? 


Obviously, you know what I decided!

I invested in a tube of Urban Decay's 24/7 liquid eyeliner in Perversion (er, black). I really debated between all the different Urban Decay eyeliners. I mean, why do they make five different liquid eyeliners!? Seems a bit excessive! 

I tested it out in the car to touch up my liner before an interview. I really like the brush -- like, love it. I love that the handle is longer -- it's much easier to hold and control. Plus, the brush is shorter than the Wet-n-Wild brush -- it's less likely to splatter if you're inexperienced in using liquid liner! 

I've been wearing this liner everyday for the past few days. The first thing I noticed is that it doesn't flake like the Wet-n-Wild liner does! Seriously, it would be half gone without even touching my eye! It stays in place magnificently. I also find it is a lot less goopy, very smooth and goes on really nicely. It makes getting my liner even on both eyes a lot easier. Plus, I find it doesn't smear as much and it creates a nice, strong line. 


Overall, I'm really happy with this purchase. The Wet-n-Wild MegaLiner is a steal at around $2 for a tube. The Urban Decay liner is $19 for a tube, so there is really no competition there. However, I think it comes down to this: if you buy the cheaper option, it's a cheaper formula and while you can make it work, it flakes, it's rather goopy, and the brush isn't great, but it can look really nice; if you buy the more expensive option, you'll be able to apply your eyeliner a lot more quickly and easily, with minimal muss and fuss! The great look with minimal effort. Personally, I think that makes it worth the extra $17! 

Now that I've tried this eyeliner, I definitely want it in other colors! I'm eyeing Sabbath, Siren, and Demolition right now, as well as Retrograde (purple liner goes great with hazel eyes, as crazy as it sounds!). 

What's your favorite brand of liquid eyeliner?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!