Thursday, April 24, 2014

Beauty Scenarios Tag


Last week, Sarah from Shades of Sarah tagged me on Twitter for the Beauty Scenarios tag. I love talking about make up, although I'd never claim to be an expert. I do like to give my two-cents on products though. 

1. You have to get rid of all your foundations and you can only keep one high-end and one drugstore, which do you keep?
I don’t use drugstore foundation. Maaaaaybe that makes me a little high-and-mighty, but drugstore foundation never matches my skin tone and all of them oxidize like crazy. No one likes to be orange. If I had to pick one foundation to use for a while, I think I’d pick... Tarte’s amazonian clay. I recently switched to Urban Decay’s Naked Skin and I love it, but my Tarte foundation was closer to my skin tone and covered so much better (however, it did clog my pores). But if I had to choose, I’d choose Tarte for the rest of my life (assuming my complexion improves as I get older).  

2. You go for an interview and the lady interviewing you has lipstick on her teeth. Do you approach the subject or ignore it completely?
I’d say, “Oh my gosh, I love that lipstick color! It makes your smile look so radiant!” And of course, when you say that, people smile, and then you can say, “Oooop, lick your tooth, right on that side. Perfect!” Then you’re done. No embarrassment. And you’ve given a compliment. 

I one time sat through an interview and the interviewer had a piece of spinach on her sweater. It was at a time where I was a lot more shy and I was very nervous for the interview. At the very end, when she stood up to shake my hand, it fell on the floor; she looked at me with such a sense of "seriously?" Since then, I've made the vow to always tell people when they have lipstick on their teeth, food in their teeth, stains on their clothes, etc. I try to do it in a nice way, of course. 

3. You’re not feeling yourself and need a pick me up. Which lipstick do you put on to make yourself feel beautiful?
I love lipstick. I am a lipstick junkie. It depends on what I feel bad about. If I feel ugly, it’s Rimmel London’s Kate Moss in 01 -- a dark red. So pretty. If I feel cranky, Aveda’s Poppy cheers me up because it’s my wedding lipstick. If I feel tired, Wet-n-Wild’s It’s a Girl! always makes me look a little more rejuvenated. In general, my day-to-day lipstick is Urban Decay's Revolution Lipstick in Naked -- it's the perfect MLBB color and just adds a bit of definition so my face is more framed... without being super dramatic.

4. You go back in time for a day to your teenage years, how would you do your hair and makeup differently?
1. Less eyeshadow. 
2. Less eyeliner. 
3. Learn to control my multiple cowlicks ASAP. 
4. Stop straightening my hair to lifeless nothingness. Embrace volume. 
5. Stop dying my hair dark dark red. 
6. Did I mention less eyeliner? 

5. You ask your hairdresser for a shoulder length Pixie Lott hair cut, but they hear wrong and give you a pixie cut. Do you a) Smile, say thank you, leave and call your mom hysterical b) Cry in the chair and things get awkward or c) Complain to the manager and demand a refund.
I would probably stop her the minute she got prepped to cut all my hair off...? If you’re hair is long enough to cut into a shoulder length, then presumably she’d have to put it into a ponytail and cut it off to get you to a pixie cut. Hopefully I’d stop her before she did that because, I mean, obviously. Otherwise, I’ve never heard of Pixie Lott and I think if I was getting my hair cut to shoulder length I’d just say “shoulder length” and not throw the word pixie around. Just to prevent confusion. 

In general, be proactive in the chair, guys. The hairstylist is trying to do what you want. It’s not a dictatorship. Make sure to chat about what you want. Saying, "I want a Pixie Lott hair cut!" doesn't make sense if they don't know who Pixie Lott is. Bring in pictures. Lots of pictures. Tell them exactly how you want your hair to look and let them figure out how to make it work with your hair texture. If they start doing something you don’t want, like, stop them? It’s a service you are paying for. They appreciate it! 

6. Your friend surprises you with a 4-day city break and you have 1 hour to pack. Which ‘do it all’ palette do you pack in your makeup bag?
I don’t live in the city, so a city break is not a thing for me! :) I’d probably pack my Forever 21 neutrals palette. It’s a palette I wouldn’t mind getting messed up. I love my Naked palette, but I took it to Disneyland and it got kinda jacked on the plane there and back (the mirror cracked and it was pretty terrifying to open in the hotel room!)

7. Your house has been robbed, don’t worry everyone is safe, but your beauty stash has been raided. What’s the product you really hope is safe?
I think of everything in my house, my make up is like the safest thing. Comparatively to everything else that's in my home. I don’t want to list all of my expensive stuff, but make up, really? What kinda robber is this, a 12-year-old without access to Sephora or Target?! You can’t resell a Naked palette, y’all. I’d be bummed if any of my Urban Decay stuff went missed or if anyone messed with my lipsticks.

8. Your friend borrows your makeup and returns it in awful condition. Do you a) Just pretend you haven’t noticed b) Ask them to repurchase it or c) Secretly do the same to something of theirs?

I’d blame myself. Who lends a friend make up? That’s not very sanitary. We all have mites that are specific to our faces and bodies. Sharing mascara is potentially one of the most damaging things you can do. It's a really easy way to give yourself an eye infection or, oh god, pink eye. Same with unsanitized brushes, make up palettes, etc. Seriously, guys. Don’t put something that has touched someone else’s face a lot on your face. That’s gross. Super gross. 

In general, if I loan someone something and they mess it up, I blame myself. I loaned it; I had expectations that I didn’t share with them in regards to its use and care; and now I’m disappointed because I didn’t express myself. It’s partially their fault and I hope they would offer to replace it if they notice I get kinda pissy about something being jacked up, but it’s also my fault for loaning them something I regularly smear on my face. Because who does that? 

I'll be tagging people on Twitter for this, but if you want to answer it, feel free! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!