Thursday, January 30, 2014

Finding a Running Buddy


I love running. 

Ok, let me rephrase that: I like the way running makes me feel. In the moment, while I'm running, I hate it. I despise it. But I like running. I like the idea of it and I like how it makes me feel. 

Running on a treadmill, though, has given me insane shin splints. If I try to run on a treadmill, I can't walk for the rest of the night; after 1.5 miles on a treadmill, it feels like my shins are about to split in half. But really, running on a treadmill is my only option on weeknights: it's too dark by the time I get home to run out where I live (I would, surely, get hit by a car) and in general, it doesn't seem safe. 

On Monday, however, one of my coworkers asked me if I wanted to run to a local park with her, do a strength circuit, and then run back. At first, I said no... I was determined to go to the gym. But as the day passed, I realized I really did want to go with her! I told her I'd changed my mind and I wanted to and I'm glad I did. 

The park close to where we work is up a (rather steep) hill. Running up the hill killed my shins, but it felt much better than a treadmill! The run to the park took about 7 minutes and was around .58 of a mile -- pretty decent! At the park, we spent 20 minutes doing a circuit of: burpees, mountain climbers, jump squats and regular squats, pushups (for her, and crunches for me). We did walking lunge back and forth across the basketball court and then started back. By the time we got back to our office, we were exhausted. On Tuesday, I could barely sit down or bend down to pick anything up at work! 

It was really nice to have someone to cheer me on. While we were doing our circuit, we both kept stopping, but then we'd say, "C'mon, we can do 5 more burpees. We can do this!" Then we would! If I had been by myself, undoubtedly, I would have quit after going through the circuit once (burpees suck). It was great. 

I'm planning on repeating that work out at least once a week -- probably on Mondays. It was a great way to start the week and it's nice to have a running buddy who is around the same fitness level as me. 

Do you have a workout or running buddy? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!