Sunday, January 5, 2014

10 Recipes I Want to Try in January

When it comes to Pinterest, I always find myself pinning recipes ... and then never getting around to trying them. Seems like kind of a waste, huh? I also tend to always cook the same things over and over again -- the same cupcakes, the same chocolate chip cookies, the same salmon and rice combo, etc. Since I want to try new things this year, I thought I'd start making lists every month of recipes from Pinterest that I've never gotten around to looking at twice! Here's my list for January. 


1. Maple Walnut Scones

I love scones! They're such a great treat to serve for company... or to have around the house for lazy Sunday mornings with a cup of coffee. These ones look especially tasty... I'm a total sucker for anything maple flavored. I feel like these would be especially tasty alongside a traditional breakfast of bacon and eggs. Yum! 


2. Potato Gnocchi

Gnocchi is something I haven't ever eaten a lot of! I love chicken & gnocchi soup, but that's where my experience with these little potato dumplings ends. These ones look really yummy -- with the addition of garlic, it's hard to make them look bad! I feel like these would be a great side dish with steak or salmon -- something a little out of the ordinary, but very comforting and satisfying. 


3. Baked Gnocchi with Ricotta

More gnocchi! I went through a phase of pinning where I really wanted to try gnocchi, obviously. These one looks especially tasty. I love anything that combines marinara sauce and gooey cheese! These kind of reminds me of lasagna... but instead of noodles, you have yummy, potato gnocchis instead. I'd eat that. A lot of that. 


4. Two Potato Gratin

A few months ago, I tried to make a potato gratin. It went really horribly. I think I needed to cook the potatoes a bit before baking, but the recipe I followed didn't include that. Fool me once! I love gratin, so I'm hoping to learn to make it on my own. This one looks particularly yummy. I love the more rustic gratins -- nothing manicured, just very homey and tasty. 


5. Mexican Black Beans

I included this recipe for one, very big reason: it looks like it would be very easy to make healthy. I mean, it's black beans! So healthy! I also love Mexican food and any way in which I can make that healthy, I'm willing to take a shot. The more Mexican food I can eat, the better. 


6. Sour Cream and Chives Biscuit

One of my favorite breakfasts to make for Danny and I is biscuits and gravy. It's so simple, but so hearty. I usually use packaged biscuits, which aren't my favorite, but I've never been very good at making biscuits. (The folding of the butter tests my patience!) These ones look so yummy though. Just imagining them with spicy sausage gravy on top is making my mouth water a bit... 


7. Dark Chocolate & Caramel Squares

True story: a few days ago, I turned to Danny and said, "If I had to pick between chocolate and caramel... I think I'd pick caramel." He was stunned! I love caramel anything: caramel ice cream, caramel frappucinos, caramel candies, caramel hot cocoa... if it has caramel, I'll probably buy it, eat it, and buy another one. These look especially tasty. And considering I've been too chicken to actually try and make caramel yet... well, I think it's time to take that step!


8. Buttermilk Waffle Cupcakes... minus the bacon part

Ok, this is a recipe that really interests me... but it has so much going on in it! I want to kind of throw away all the extra bits and get to the interesting part: buttermilk waffle cupcakes! I mean, let's talk about that. I'm imaging the buttermilk waffle cupcakes with maple frosting or just a good, old fashioned cream cheese frosting and dusting of cinnamon sugar. 


9. Old Fashioned Iced Oatmeal Cookies

My favorite cookies, honestly, are packaged oatmeal cookies with icing. You know the ones: they're really hard and crunchy. But they're so yummy! I love them. If I can learn to make something that even tastes slightly like those, I'll be beyond excited. 


10. Mini Focaccia Rounds

I'm a bread baker. I love learning to make new kinds of bread. Focaccia is one of those breads that I've always loved, but have never tried to make. This year, I'm ready! This recipe looks particularly tasty and not overly complicated.

Do you have any recipes you're itching to try this month? 




2 comments:

  1. So many good choices - those walnut scones look delicious! I keep meaning to bake some caramel shortbread - haven't made any for years and been craving it since before Christmas. Now hopefully since the festive periods is over, I can now find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this blog of yours after reading your final post on Locked Out. I have been so out of the blog loop the last year or two, much for the same reasons as you. You've inspired me to start up a new blog too, that better fits the me of now, rather than the one who started blogging all those years ago. I'm looking forward to reading your posts here.... Considering this one is packed with delicious food goodness, and after glancing over previous ones, I know I'm going to enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!