Saturday, December 7, 2013

Winter Wonderland





Danny and I woke up at around 5:30 am on Friday morning to a phone call. Danny had been booked to sub at a local high school and they called to tell him it was a snow day. I peaked out the blinds and sure enough: we had about 3 or 4 inches of snow already! I settled back in, content that it was Friday, I'd been sick all week, I just had to make it through one day at work, snow or not. I got up at 6, got ready, got dressed, made some coffee... and looked out the window to see it was still snowing. I called my mom and asked if my dad could drive me to work in his truck -- she said yes and at 7am, I was headed to work with my dad. 

I got to work at 8:15. A normally 30 minute drive morphed into a really complicated drive! At work, it continued to snow, getting harder and harder until we had over 5 or 6 inches! I started to get worried about getting home, as were most of my coworkers. Finally, I heard from my dad that they were closing down where he worked for the day and he'd be by at 1:30 to pick me up. Well, ok then! We got home around 3:30 after seeing countless people sliding all over the road, in the ditch, or stopped at the end of their driveways, unable to make it up! 

When I got home, there was another little problem: Danny was asleep on the couch, not feeling well. I knew right away he had whatever stomach bug I had this week! I felt so bad! I got him settled into bed and worked on cleaning up and packing around the house, as well as my freelance. I got my article sent in, on deadline, about twenty minutes before the lights flicked off at 7:30. Uh-oh. Good thing I'd gotten firewood from my parents and had a fire going in our wood stove or we would have froze! 

During the night, Danny was sick and our power didn't come back on until 3:30. I barely slept, lying awake worrying about Danny, about keeping the fire going, about the water pipes freezing, about how we would get water. I considered grabbing my cooking pots and going outside to get snow and melt in on the wood stove, just in case. I lied awake for what seemed like forever, until the lights finally went back on. I've never been more excited! I tromped outside to get some wood from our wood box, one last time, and put a huge block in the stove, and finally went to sleep. 




I woke up to snow still covering everything, but at least the lights were back on, the house was warm, and Danny seemed to be feeling better! I ran into town with my parents to get supplies from the grocery store -- mainly ginger ale for Danny just in case -- and now I'm working on cleaning all of our bedding and clothes ... and trying to keep the mess from the snow (and Remus) at bay! 

Oregon is not meant for this kind of weather -- our roads are not designed for it and people here don't really know how to drive in it or how to prep their houses for it. There are a lot of burst pipes right now, a lot of cars stuck in driveways and ditches, and there have been so many wrecks! This is also really abnormal for December... we hardly ever get snow, but if we do, it's late winter and it's a very wet, heavy snow. This snow is very light and powdery. That being said, our power outage was caused by a downed power line, which means something was heavy enough to break it!

I really enjoy snow. I think it's so pretty and makes everything look so clean and perfect. I'm really ready for it to be gone though! I'm very nervous about the lights going out again tonight. Hopefully, I'll be a little more prepared this time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!