Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sick Days


I was on a roll with blogging until yesterday, when I got fully and completely taken out with a stomach bug. You know when you wake up at some weird time (it's always 4:15 am for me) and you just know you're going to get sick... you try to talk yourself out of it, you try to act like "Oh I just ate too much yesterday..." But no, it's coming and you can't stop it. You can't. 

I've officially eaten two meals since Sunday evening... only one of which has stayed put so far. Happy to say I'm feeling better today. Last night, my fever started to get really high -- up in the 103-104 degree range. My legs were aching so badly, I couldn't sit still, I kept getting warm and then cold and then my legs hurt worse and the more I moved around trying to get comfortable, the more my stomach rebelled. Danny finally convinced me to take Advil at 8pm -- I didn't think it would be a good idea since Advil tends to upset my stomach if I don't eat enough and I'd only managed to keep Gatorade down all day. I took it though and slept peacefully until 1am, when I woke up briefly, watched a little bit of TV, brushed my teeth, and went back to bed.


As a really weird note, I threw my back out getting sick yesterday so it's been horrible trying to lie down all day. My back only feels okay with I sit straight up and hurts horribly if I try to lie down. Oh the joys of being ill! My temperature has hovered around 99 degree todays which means I still can't go to work (since I work with the elderly, we can't go to work with a fever), but I have been able to eat a little bit. Second meal in two days: buttered rice and a Diet Pepsi. And I successfully made a trip to Wal-Mart to get said rice and Diet Pepsi (and Tylenol, because it's gentler on stomachs). 


Danny is working (subbing) today, so it's just me and Remus. He always gets very confused when he's left with just me. I have to say -- Remus has been really good while I'm sick! Yesterday, Danny left around 10am to get me Gatorade and crackers, and it was about 5 minutes after he left that I started really getting sick. Afterwards, as I collapsed on my bed, afraid to move and feeling totally disgusting, Remus hopped up on the bed, curled up beside me, and put his head on my chest. He knew I was sick! After that, he went from sitting in the bedroom door, guarding it (literally, sitting up straight, not lying down!) to going to look out the front windows to putting his head on the edge of the bed and wagging his tail at me. Those were clearly his three guardposts -- mom, door, window, repeat. 

I'm going to spend the rest of the day treating my stomach with great care and getting some things done around the house... mostly packing and cleaning! I'm looking forward to feeling better and rejoining the real world. 

Hope you all are having a good Tuesday! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Ellipsis! I try to reply to all comments, but replying on a blog post isn't always the easiest. If you have a question or want to start a conversation, don't be afraid to send me a message on Twitter @ellipsis_life. Thanks!